Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A State in the Union

I didn't bother to watch W's address last night. Maybe that makes me a bad American, but in the past his speeches have only succeeded in rendering me completely apoplectic and I just couldn't handle the prospect last night. Instead, we watched back-to-back episodes of Law & Order: SVU. Not exactly uplifting, but for two hours I got to watch as people were held accountable for their heinous crimes, as people got busted for ruining other people's lives, got smacked down by the powers-that-be, while our Power-That-Is got applauded for his crimes, his insincerity, his pomposity, his amnesia.

Because amnesia, that old soap-opera fallback, is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for such a glaring, shocking, inexcusable omission. Yes, we are an embarassment; we are yet another thorn in the backside of the administration. But how does the leader of the free world get away with such deliberate neglect? Does he really get to pretend like Katrina didn't happen?

He's worse than the Bears fan with the sandwich board. He may as well have stood up there at that podium and flipped us the bird.

And what do we do about this? Other than duck our heads and wait out the next 2 years in a near-constant state of quivering rage? Cade has suggested secession, on more than one occasion. I used to think he was kidding. We wouldn't be the first community in recent history to raise the issue. It doesn't seem likely, but stranger things have happened. If anyone has any other good ideas, let me know. Pretty please. We're (literally) dying down here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bush would have earned a tad bit of respect from me if he got up there and gave us the birdy.
If you guys do secede I'll move there. I'm tired of living in the Taxation without Representation 'state'. I used to not care but now it pisses me off. Other options...move to Canada...wait it out...coup d'etat (now I'm on the FBI watchlist for that one I'm sure!)
Enjoyed your stuff Chrissie!